The Closed Plan is the existing retirement plan for employees hired before July 1, 2000. You will continue to participate in the Closed Plan until retirement if one of the following categories describes your employment status on June 30, 2000. At retirement, you may elect to stay in the Closed Plan or switch to the Year 2000 Plan if you:
- Were an active member of the Closed Plan (actively employed in a benefit eligible position).
- Were a terminated-vested member of the Closed Plan (eligible for future retirement benefits under the Closed Plan, but no longer working for the state).
- Were receiving disability benefits through MPERS’ disability plan.
- Were on a leave of absence.
Members of the Closed Plan are encouraged to review our Comparison of Closed Plan & Year 2000 Plan benefits brochure before making a plan election at retirement.
Effective July 1, 2000, the retirement plan for new employees is the Year 2000 Plan. You will be a member of the Year 2000 Plan if one of the following categories describes your employment status on or after July 1, 2000:
- You were hired for the first time in a benefit eligible position on or after July 1, 2000.
- You left state employment prior to becoming vested (not eligible for a future retirement benefit) and returned to work in a benefit eligible position on or after July 1, 2000.