As an active member of a plan administered by MPERS, the state provides long-term disability (LTD) insurance at no cost to you. LTD insurance is intended to replace a percentage of your income that is lost as a result of not being able to work due to an accident, illness, injury or disease. If approved for LTD benefits, you will continue to accrue service credit under MPERS until you reach normal retirement eligibility.
The LTD benefit equals 60% of your pre-disability earnings, reduced by deductible income.*
LTD benefits end on whichever of these dates occurs first:
- The date you no longer meet the definition of disability
- The date you fail to provide proof of continued disability upon request
- The date you begin receiving early retirement benefits or the date you first become eligible for normal retirement benefits
- The date you return to active work
- The date of your death
- Work earnings
- Social Security disability
- Workers’ Compensation
- Unemployment compensation
- Benefits from another group disability plan
To apply for this benefit, you must complete the forms contained in the disability packet.